Saturday, December 27, 2008

Random Oz Observations (ROO)

Ok, so I'm sitting here at the track and I'm a jot bored. I am drinking my instant coffee, which seems to be popular here, and thought I would share a couple of random things...

First, a big thanks to the lovely ladies in Race Control which is situated right next to my temporary station. Taanja, Kathleen and Melissa are wonderful and have been so nice and accommodating to me since the second I met them!

Second, I'm not sure exactly what species of bird that's quite prevalent here at the track, but it makes the most unusual squawk I've heard in all my 38 years. The thing looks like a crow in size, shape and colour (that's 'color' for all of us u-impaired Americans), but from its beak comes a shrill noise that's comparable to the sound of a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. Every time I hear one, which is often, I take a look around to see if some in the vicinity is dying and calling for help!

Last, Our friends here Down Under are big fans of abbreviating words and subsequently ending the new version in a long 'e' sound. For example...

Barbecue = barbie - "Put another shrimp on the barbie, mate."
Breakfast = brekky - "No worries, I'll have some toast and jam for brekky."
Sunnies = sunglasses - "It's so sunny today at WSID that I need my sunnies!"

More from mark1961...

Tinnie or tinny - a can of amber liquid or a small aluminium boat, take your pick.
Brolly - an umbrella.
Esky - handy for keeping the amber liquid chilled.Bickie - a biscuit or cookie to you guys n gals.

2 comments:

mark1961 said...

Here's a few more mate,

Tinnie or tinny - a can of amber liquid or a small aluminium boat, take your pick.

Brolly - an umbrella.

Esky - handy for keeping the amber liquid chilled.

Bickie - a biscuit or cookie to you guys n gals.

Kalitta Memorial said...

Thanks, Mark!